What you must know when a flood has hit your home and you return to your home


At Flood Control Canada www.FloodControlCanada.com, a leading company for residential and commercial flood protection our focus is to prevent floodings damaging your home, office buildings and public buildings like hospitals, airports, grocery stores, retail buildings, etc. with a wide array of flood protection products.


This article sheds some light into the aftermath risk of massive floodings and post-disaster management that can harm our health substantially.


Recent studies and a documentary (“MOLDY”) www.moldymovie.com about the effects of mold on human health by Dave Asprey www.bulletproof.com have let me to write about this aspect in the context of preventing your home from water damage.


In the aftermath of flooding disasters, we see volunteers and whole neighbourhoods coming together helping homeowners to clean up and move furniture out of the damaged basements. But most often they pay a huge price for it with their health when working with moldy materials because any time drywall or wood or most other surfaces (carpet, furniture, books, etc) that has water damage, toxic soil molds take over.


The exposure to the poisons generated by toxic molds in water damaged buildings causes inflammation and mitochondrial damage and impacts our health significantly.




















Studies have shown that mold toxins cause DNA damage and can mutate your DNA, which can lead to cancer. Mold can also break down myelin. Myelin is the insulation of your neurons throughout your body and brain and when damaged it can cause MS, Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s.




According to Asprey other symptoms of mold exposure are:

  • Chronic sinus infection or strep throat

  • Poor memory

  • Migraine and headache

  • Restless legs

  • Muscle weakness

  • Extremely poor memory

  • Nosebleeds

  • Stiff joints

  • Lightheadedness

  • Hashimoto

  • Rheumatoid Arthritis

  • Food allergies


Here is what to do when you have been evacuated and come home to your damaged house caused by a flood:

  • You must wear a full-body Tyvek suit and a respirator to go into a water damaged building. The mold builds up quickly (2 days); even quicker when the flooding happened during hot outside temperatures.


  • Paper masks don’t work. You must wear half-face respirators with screw-on cartridge filters that are HEPA rated (P100 or N100) and block 99.7% of the particles. Better, get a filter with activated charcoal to block organic compounds.


  • Never bring moldy items from the basement into your clean living space unless they are decontaminated.


  • Those items that cannot be decontaminated (bedding, furniture, wood, papers, books, clothing, etc) throw them AWAY.


  • Non-porous items like glass, metal, ceramics and plastics can be treated with bleach to make them safe.


  • Take off your Tyvek suit when finished.


  • Get your home inspected and mold tested before doing any repairs on your home.




Minimize the exposure to possible mold infested areas in your home. Be aware if the risk of mold after water damage in your home and spread the word to your neighbours and friends - not the toxins.


I would like to thank Dave Asprey and give him the credit for his extensive research on this subject. For more information, please visit the provided links.